Ladbrokes Tip: Sydney stayers have a dominant recent record in The Metropolitan over interstate runners
The Metropolitan is a well-known handicap race conducted at Randwick Racecourse in early October each Sydney Spring Racing Carnival. Worth $750,000 in prize money, the staying classic is conducted over 2400m and The Metropolitan winner takes out over $430,000 in prize money. Held on Epsom Handicap Day that features three Group 1 races, The Metropolitan Handicap was first run in 1863 and has held elite level status since 1979. Originally called the Great Metropolitan Stakes it was run on the Labour Day holiday on the first Monday in October until 2004. Many top stayers have enjoyed success in The Metropolitan over the years including Magic Hurricane (2015), Railings (2005), Ming Dynasty (1978) and Redcraze (1956).
This year The Metropolitan Handicap ran on Saturday September 30, 2017.
2017 The Metropolitan Results
- 1st: #10 Foundry
- 2nd: #5 Big Duke
- 3rd: #7 Chocante
The Metropolitan Race Info
- Date: Saturday September 30, 2017
- Track: Royal Randwick Racecourse
- Distance: 2400m
- Conditions: Handicap
- Status: Group 1
- Prize Money: $750,000
- First Run: 1863
The Metropolitan Handicap Betting & Odds
The Metropolitan Handicap betting markets open as soon as the nominations for the mile and a half classic close in late August each Sydney Spring Racing Carnival. Futures betting on Group 1 races like The Metropolitan give you the chance to lock in juicy prices on potential runners. Many punters however prefer to wait until the field is released and The Metropolitan odds are often led by horses that ran well in races like the Group 3 Newcastle Gold Cup, the Group 3 Colin Stephen Quality or Caulfield’s Group 3 Naturalism Stakes.
Horses that come off nice lead-up runs in Sydney, are well-weighted in The Metropolitan weights and older gallopers traditionally sit at the top of The Metropolitan odds each season.
2017 The Metropolitan Odds
The season’s updated The Metropolitan 2017 betting odds and links to our markets will be available below so make sure you stay tuned for access to the best Group 1 Randwick racing odds online.
The Metropolitan Handicap Tips
The Metropolitan tips are often a mixed affair with the race know to attract a big field. Winners of the race in recent years have come via a host of different lead-ups and the only last start winner to back up and take out The Metropolitan since Railings (2005) was Glencadam Gold (2012). He was trainer Gai Waterhouse’s eighth champion in the event making Waterhouse-trained runners a good The Metropolitan Handicap tip each spring.
Other key The Metropolitan betting tips include looking for horses weighted 55.5kg and under and those coming off a Sydney lead-up run.
2017 The Metropolitan Tips
Our Ladbrokes’ exclusive The Metropolitan 2017 tips and Randwick exotic betting selections will be detailed for punters below the week of Epsom Handicap Day.
- 1st: #5 Big Duke ($6) – Two Chris Waller horses are battling for top spot in The Metropolitan betting, but think there’s value to be had in the race this season as there has been on plenty of occasions recently. Darren Weir saddles-up this six-year-old stayer who jumps from last year’s winning barrier and who is the right age for success with half the winners of the race in the past decade doing so as six-year-olds. He’s got the second highest Win Rate of the field (38%) and the best Place Rate of all the runners (75%). Forgive the Naturalism Stakes run last weekend (10th) under the big kilos. Comes back notable in weight and sees a more suitable distance. Loves 2400m (3-2-1-0) and carted 58kg to a Group 2 Chairman’s Handicap (2600m) win at Randwick in the autumn before the Sydney Cup third when under a length beaten over the two miles.
- 2nd: #2 Who Shot Thebarman ($12) – Best value of the four Waller runners and double-figures for the multiple Sydney and Melbourne Cup placegetter seems generous. Small field, gets the run of the race from the gate and Hugh Bowman takes over. Carries equal 57kg top weight, but can handle the kilos no worries. Last start fourth behind his three stablemates in the Group 3 Kingston Town Stakes (2000m) saw him beaten only two lengths, a margin he can close up over more metres.
- 3rd: #8 Broadside ($8.50) – Gai Waterhouse factor as the trainer chases her incredible ninth win in The Metropolitan with this recent Newcastle Gold Cup winner. Was on the quick back-up last weekend with a big weight running third in the Colin Stephen Quality and will be rock hard fit for this. Has done plenty of racing, but that’s always been the plan to get the miles in his legs ahead of a winnable Group 1 test.
The Metropolitan Handicap Field
The Metropolitan field has a capacity of 18 starters but hasn’t had the maximum number of runners line up on race day since 2005 when Railings won from barrier 14 of 18. The final field of The Metropolitan acceptances is out on the Wednesday before the race runs on the Saturday and is considered a nice lead-up for Melbourne-bound hopefuls that could back-up in the Group 1 Caulfield Cup. The Metropolitan nominations meanwhile close in late August with up to 100 runners making up the early entries.
Horses come into The Metropolitan field via a number of different lead-up races, a number of which offer a ballot exemption to the winner into the Group 1 including the Newcastle Gold Cup. The last galloper to complete the Newcastle Cup – The Metropolitan double without another run in between was Glencadam Gold (2012).
2017 The Metropolitan Field
The official The Metropolitan 2017 Final Field & Barrier Draw is set for release on September 27, 2017 and will be published in full below, so stay tuned to see what spring stayers make the starting line-up in the mile and a half feature.
The 2017 The Metropolitan Handicap field drew just 12 final acceptors including four for Chris Waller who saddles-up the top fancies in betting including last start Kingston Town Stakes winner Libran and Sydney & Melbourne Cup placegetter Who Shot Thebarman, the duo carrying the equal 57kg top weight and drawn alongside each other in barriers three and two respectively.
|#||Form (Last 10)||Horse||Trainer||Jockey||Barrier||Weight||Hcp. Rating|
|1||2x8746Px61||LIBRAN (IRE)||Chris Waller||Glyn Schofield||3||57kg||108|
|2||55x3642x94||WHO SHOT THEBARMAN (NZ)||Chris Waller||Hugh Bowman||2||57kg||108|
|3||31×9763415||DESTINY’S KISS||Joseph Pride||Jason Collett||7||55.5kg||105|
|4||0x0D71x000||AMRALAH (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||TBA||12||55kg||104|
|5||121113×550||BIG DUKE (IRE)||Darren Weir||Brenton Avdulla||6||55kg||104|
|6||2x1240x542||ANTONIO GIUSEPPE (NZ)||Chris Waller||Joao Moreira||4||54.5kg||103|
|7||1x37301x37||CHOCANTE (NZ)||Stephen Marsh||Corey Brown||1||54.5kg||103|
|8||x65123x813||BROADSIDE (NZ)||Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott||Tim Clark||9||52kg||98|
|9||41x122x253||LIFE LESS ORDINARY (IRE)||Chris Waller||Kerrin McEvoy||11||51kg||96|
|10||x830x33x24||FOUNDRY (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||TBA||8||50.5kg||95|
|11||213×009435||LORESHO (FR)||Darren Weir||TBA||10||50kg||92|
|12||0250942213||MY DIAMANTINE (NZ)||Brian Smith||Andrew Spinks||5||50kg||88|
2017 The Metropolitan Nominations & Weights
The Metropolitan Nominations for 2017 were taken in early September and attracted 73 early entries, including five for top Sydney trainer Chris Waller.
Official 2017 The Metropolitan Weights were released a fortnight later with former ATC Derby winner Tavago heading the handicaps with 58kg, followed by the Waller-trained duo of Libran (57kg) and Who Shot Thebarman (57kg) who are both Sydney Cup placegetters.
The Metropolitan Handicap Form Guide
The Metropolitan Handicap form guide lists all of the final acceptors, their barriers, jockeys, trainers and allocated weights. The winning weight range in the race over the past decade ranges from a light 50.5kg to 56kg that Opinion (2014) carried to victory for trainer Chris Waller. Junoob originally won the 2014 race but was later disqualified for a failed drug test. The race favourites meanwhile aren’t always the most likely to win in this spring major with just two saluting since 2005 with plenty of long-priced roughies scoring an upset including Newport (40/1 in 2008) and The Verminator (20/1 in 2011).
The Metropolitan Form Facts
- Foundry (2017), Seville (2013) and Newport (2008) were the only The Metropolitan winners from 2008 – 2017 to come off a non-Sydney lead-up race
- Since 2005 just one horse came off a victory before winning The Metropolitan with Glencadam Gold (2012) who took out the Newcastle Gold Cup
- Favourites have a poor recent record in The Metropolitan results with only two saluting from 2006-17
- Since Railings (2005) no The Metropolitan winner has been younger than five-years-old
- Trainer Gai Waterhouse holds the record with eight The Metropolitan winners
The Metropolitan Handicap Results
The Metropolitan results display the exact finishing order of all the starters, any scratched horses, the winning margin, time, weight and starting price of each galloper. In recent years The Metropolitan Handicap results have been dominated by Sydney-trained horses coming off lead-up runs in New South Wales. Favourites only have an average record in The Metropolitan results of the past decade, with the last to salute for the punters being Magic Hurricane (2015).
Notable recent The Metropolitan winners include Coco Cobanna (2000) who is the last mare to win, Glencadam Gold (2012) and Sir John Hawkwood (2016).
2017 The Metropolitan Handicap Results
The official The Metropolitan 2017 results and race finishing order will be provided below once the race takes place on Saturday September 30, 2017.
|1||10||FOUNDRY (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||Michael Dee||–||8||50.5kg||$10|
|2||5||BIG DUKE (IRE)||Darren Weir||Brenton Avdulla||0.5L||6||55kg||$5|
|3||7||CHOCANTE (NZ)||Stephen Marsh||Corey Brown||1.8L||1||54.5kg||$21|
|4||2||WHO SHOT THEBARMAN (NZ)||Chris Waller||Hugh Bowman||2.6L||2||57kg||$16|
|5||8||BROADSIDE (NZ)||Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott||Tim Clark||3L||9||52kg||$6.50|
|6||1||LIBRAN (IRE)||Chris Waller||Glyn Schofield||3.6L||3||57kg||$8.50|
|7||6||ANTONIO GIUSEPPE (NZ)||Chris Waller||Joao Moreira||3.7L||4||54.5kg||$6.50|
|8||12||MY DIAMANTINE (NZ)||Brian Smith||Andrew Spinks||4.1L||5||50kg||$91|
|9||9||LIFE LESS ORDINARY (IRE)||Chris Waller||Kerrin McEvoy||5L||10||51kg||$4.20F|
|10||3||DESTINY’S KISS||Joseph Pride||Jason Collett||5.7L||7||55.5kg||$41|
|–||4||AMRALAH (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||Ben Melham||–||0||–||–|
|–||11||LORESHO (FR)||Darren Weir||Dean Yendall||–||0||–||–|
Winners of The Metropolitan
|2016||Sir John Hawkwood||Antonio Giuseppe||Allergic||2:27.4|
|2015||Magic Hurricane||Beaten Up||Havana Cooler||2:28.5|
|2013||Seville||Julienas||Sneak A Peek||2:32.1|
|2012||Glencadam Gold||Kelinni||Reuben Percival||2:29.7|
|2011||The Verminator||Hawk Island||Lamasery||2:33.4|
|2010||Herculian Prince||Mourayan||No Wine No Song||2:29.9|
|2009||Speed Gifted||Lodge The Deeds||Fiumicino||2:35.1|
|2008||Newport||Bianca||Get Up Jude||2:33.0|
|2007||Race Not Run||–||–||–|
|2005||Railings||Run Rita Run||Men At Work||2:28.5|
|2004||County Tyrone||Itemise||Don Raphael||2:33.6|
|2002||Victory Smile||Piachay||Dress Circle||2:31.3|
|2000||Coco Cobanna||Pasta Express||Citra’s Prince||2:44.3|