The 2017 ANZAC Test will be played at GIO Stadium in Canberra on May 5
The annual ANZAC Test is a representative Rugby League football matched played between the Australian Kangaroos and New Zealand Kiwis just after ANZAC Day (April 25) in early May.
Inaugurated in 1997 the two teams in the NRL test match play for the Bill Kelly Memorial Trophy, named in honour of Trans-Tasman football legend William Kelly who played and coached for both New Zealand and Australia during the 1920s, ‘30s and ‘40s.
The ANZAC Test, also known as the Trans-Tasman Test, was first introduced by the Super League in 1997 and the first match saw Australia defeat New Zealand 34 – 22 in Sydney in front of 23,829 spectators.
Australia are the dominant ANZAC Test winners throughout history boasting 15 titles from 17 tests played and as such usually dominate ANZAC Test betting. The ANZAC Test has played out over various venues in Australia including five at Lang Park, now Suncorp Stadium, in Brisbane.
Only twice have New Zealand hosted the Test when they won 22 – 16 in 1998 before going down 20 – 12 in 2012.
ANZAC Test 2017
- Date: Friday May 5, 2017
- Venue: GIO Stadium, Canberra
- ANZACT Test Tickets: On sale February 15, 2017
The ACT will host the 2017 ANZAC Test at GIO Stadium on Friday May 5 during the Rep Round of the NRL with the Mal Meninga-coached Kangaroos taking on the New Zealand Kiwis in the annual clash. The ANZAC Test date will feature a double-header with the women’s test match played between the Jillaroos and the Kiwi Ferns. It is the first time the ANZAC NRL Test match is played in Canberra since 26,000 footy fans turned out for the 2013 edition won by the Kangaroos 32 – 12.
2017 will be the final ANZAC Test with all future games involving the Kangaroos played post the NRL season from 2018 onwards.
ANZAC Test Records
- Most ANZAC Test Wins: Australia (15 from 17 test played)
- Biggest ANZAC Test Winning Margin: 52 points – Australia kept NZ scoreless at Sydney’s Stadium Australia in 2000
- Highest ANZAC Test Attendance: 44,191 fans turned up to watch Australia score an easy 50 – 12 victory over the Kiwis in Brisbane on May 5, 2006
Anzac Test Betting
ANZAC Test betting offers head-to-head markets on the annual representative clash with Australia traditionally favourites to win the title.
All of the standard NRL odds are open on the game like First Try Scorer and Winning Margin as well as Man of the Match betting markets.
ANZAC Test Results
|Team||ANZAC Test Wins|
|KIWIS (New Zealand)||2|
ANZAC Test Winners
- From 1997 – 1999 the ANZAC Test Winners were awarded the Anzac Trophy
- From 2004 – onwards the ANZAC Test Champion Team receive the Bill Kelly Memorial Trophy