Ladbrokes Tip: Barriers account for little in the Oakleigh Plate with double digits producing plenty of recent winners.
The Group 1 Oakleigh Plate is one of three elite level Melbourne Autumn Racing Carnival races that runs at Caulfield Racecourse as part of Blue Diamond Stakes Day annually in late February. An open handicap sprint the clash takes place over 1100m and offers $500,000 in total prize money.
Running at the same meeting as the Group 1 Futurity Stakes (1400m) and Group 1 Blue Diamond Stakes (1200m) the event attracts a capacity field of 18 sprinters.
Many Oakleigh Plate horses come out of a run a fortnight earlier in the Group 1 Black Caviar Lightning Stakes (1000m) run down the Flemington straight; the last to complete the Oakleigh Plate – Lightning Stakes double was Fastnet Rock (2005).
This autumn’s Oakleigh Plate is set to run on Saturday Saturday February 25, 2017.
Oakleigh Plate Race Facts
- Date: Saturday February 25, 2017
- Track: Caulfield Racecourse
- Distance: 1100m
- Conditions: Open Handicap
- Status: Group 1
- Prize Money: $500,000
- First Run: 1884
Oakleigh Plate Field
A maximum of 18 starters line-up in the Oakleigh Plate field at Caulfield and the race was last run at capacity in 2014 when Lankan Rupee won. Oakleigh Plate nominations close the Monday before the race followed by the final field of acceptances out on the Wednesday.
The Oakleigh Plate field often features star stallions in the making and has been won by the likes of Snitzel (2006) and Fastnet Rock (2005). Many horses also run first-up in the Oakleigh Plate field and recent winners resuming racing in the classic include Mrs Onassis (2013), Woorim (2012) and Weekend Hussler (2008).
2017 Oakleigh Plate Field
The Oakleigh Plate field 2017 and barriers are set to be released on Wednesday February 22, 2017 and will be published below.
The official 2017 Oakleigh Plate Final Field & Barrier Draw attracted a bumper line-up of 18 sprinters led by the likes of returning Darley Classic third placegetter Fell Swoop and Myer Classic winner I Am A Star drawn out wide (17) for jockey Craig Williams.
|#||Form (Last 10)||Horse||Trainer||Jockey||Barrier||Weight||Hcp. Rating|
|1||1100x98x44||FLAMBERGE||Darren Weir||Brad Rawiller||6||58kg||112|
|2||42156x323x||FELL SWOOP||Matthew Dale||Damien Oliver||8||56kg||108|
|3||1118x15x||EXTREME CHOICE||Mick Price||Craig Newitt||9||54kg||110|
|4||0x10x3021x||KAEPERNICK||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes||Kerrin McEvoy||16||53kg||102|
|5||27x421152x||SHEIDEL||David & B Hayes & T Dabernig||Joao Moreira||3||53kg||106|
|6||450170×911||THERMAL CURRENT||Darren Weir||TBA||11||53kg||102|
|7||15x16225x7||FAATINAH||David & B Hayes & T Dabernig||TBA||7||52.5kg||101|
|8||26x11352x6||WILD RAIN||Mark Kavanagh||Stephen Baster||1||52.5kg||105|
|9||76x1225x58||AEGEAN SEA||Clarry Conners||TBA||5||52kg||84|
|10||0x10113x34||HELLBENT||Darren Weir||Damian Lane||13||52kg||97|
|11||1L0x55402x||MISS PROMISCUITY||David & B Hayes & T Dabernig||Ms Katelyn Mallyon||12||52kg||99|
|12||x121140x81||OCEAN EMBERS||Shea Eden||Jason Benbow||18||52kg||98|
|13||743×415834||READY SUNSHINE||Ryan Balfour||Michael Dee||10||52kg||75|
|14||60x869x102||SHAKESPEAREAN LASS||Pat Carey||Ms Michelle Payne||4||52kg||94|
|15||1x154231x2||I AM A STAR (NZ)||Shane Nichols||Craig Williams||17||50kg||105|
|16||11x477x25||EL DIVINO||Darren Weir||Dean Yendall||2||50kg||89|
|17||9x1x66735x||MISSROCK||Robbie Laing||Dean Holland||14||50kg||81|
|18||6x1x14x32||GUARD OF HONOUR||Kris Lees||Ben E Thompson (a)||15||50kg||79|
Oakleigh Plate Odds & Betting
Oakleigh Plate betting is usually an open affair with plenty of mixed form leading up to the race.
Recent Oakleigh Plate winners who won their last Group lead-up include with Lankan Rupee (2014) and Shamal Wind (2015) so last start winners can dominate the markets. Wide barrier draws don’t often have an impact on the Oakleigh Plate odds as plenty of champions have drawn wide including Shamal Wind (14 in 2015), Mrs Onassis (11 in 2013) and Swiss Ace (18 in 2009).
2017 Oakleigh Plate Betting
The latest Oakleigh Plate odds for 2017 will be updated below the week of the race so bookmark this page to view the best available Group 1 odds on the sprint.
Favourites in the Oakleigh Plate tips have a poor recent record with only two saluting for the punters from 2008 – 2015, the most recent being Lankan Rupee (3/1 in 2014). A good Oakleigh Plate tip is to look at the better weighted runners in the race as only three horses have carried more than 55.5kg to victory in the past decade.
In-form mares are also worth including in Oakleigh Plate tipping with two winning from 2013 – 2015 including Shamal Wind (2015).
2017 Oakleigh Plate Tips
The insider Ladbrokes’ Oakleigh Plate 2017 tips and betting selections will be detailed below the week of the race.
- 1st: #5 Sheidel ($10) – Double-figure Oakleigh Plate odds look generous on this Lindsay Park-trained mare. She loves racing first-up and resumes in this race where first-up performers have a good recent record. Some of these will be better at 1200m, but her record at the distance is top notch (6-4-1-0). Group 3 winner at the Caulfield track (3-2-1-0) and is a multiple Group 1 placegetter including last start second in the Winterbottom Stakes in Perth. Drawn to win from barrier three, will fly under 53kg and more than up to this class.
- 2nd: #2 Fell Swoop ($7) – Even with the 56kg is a big danger first-up. Ran top three in all spring assignments in Melbourne including the Darley Classic third and Manikato Stakes second. Has won a lead-up trial at home at Cranbourne and looks fit enough to challenge in resuming run.
- 3rd: #3 Extreme Choice ($3.80) – Firm favourite the punters are keeping safe in Oakleigh Plate betting, despite no three-year-old winning this race since 2010. Mick Price’s reigning Blue Diamond Stakes winner took out another Group 1 after that defeating an open-age field in the Manikato Stakes, and can be forgiven for the fifth to stablemate Flying Artie in the Coolmore Stud Stakes last time out. Caulfield is a better track and he is two-from-two here.
Oakleigh Plate Form Guide
The Oakleigh Plate form guide shows punters the saddlecloth numbers, barriers, jockeys and trainers of all of the horses in the field.
This information can be used to guide Oakleigh Plate betting taking into account form facts including the top record in the race by jockey Damien Oliver who has ridden two winners and the poor record of favourites being successful.
Oakleigh Plate Form Facts
- Favourites in Oakleigh Plate betting have a poor recent record with Lankan Rupee (3/1 in 2014) the only one to salute since Weekend Hussler (2008)
- Fastnet Rock (2005) was the last winner coming off a lead-up victory to get the job done until Lankan Rupee (2014) and Shamal Wind (2015)
- Upset Oakleigh Plate results are common with plenty of roughie winners including Flamberge (30/1 in 2016)
- Wide barriers have produced plenty of champs in the race including Flamberge (15 of 17 in 2016), Shamal Wind (14 of 16 in 2015) and Mrs Onassis (11 of 13 in 2013)
- Only two mares have won since Reactive (2004)
Oakleigh Plate Results
The Oakleigh Plate results and finishing order of the entire field is out when the event runs at Caulfield on Blue Diamond Stakes Day. The winning Oakleigh Plate quinella, trifecta, margins and times are all released as part of the results.
2017 Oakleigh Plate Results
The official Oakleigh Plate 2017 winner & full results will be published below on Saturday February 25, 2017.
Recent Oakleigh Plate Winners
|2015||Shamal Wind||Under The Louvre||Fast ‘n’ Rocking||1:02.2|
|2014||Lankan Rupee||Spirit Of Boom||Knoydart||1:02.7|
|2013||Mrs Onassis||Facile Tigre||Spirit Of Boom||1:03.1|
|2012||Woorim||Elite Falls||Facile Tigre||1:03.4|
|2010||Starspangledbanner||=2 Here De Angels||=2 Arinos||1:03.1|
|2009||Swiss Ace||Lucky Secret||Typhoon Zed||1:02.8|
|2006||Snitzel||Virage De Fortune||Takeover Target||1:04.4|
|2005||Fastnet Rock||Segments||Legally Bay||1:02.5|
|2003||River Dove||North Boy||Choisir||1:04.5|
|2001||Miss Kournikova||Miss Pennymoney||Show A Heart||1:02.0|