2019/20 NBA Playoffs
The entire 2019/20 NBA Season including the Playoffs were suspended for at least three months on March 11, 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The season resumed on July 31 with the Playoffs beginning on August 17.
The seasonal NBA Playoffs kick off around April each year and are contested by the top eight teams in each conference with the most wins fighting it out for the NBA Championship title.
The NBA Playoffs teams are made up of the three division winners plus the next best NBA team from each conference based on their seasonal record. NBA Playoff seedings are based on each club’s record over the regular NBA season.
NBA Playoffs are contested in a tournament format with each team playing another in a best-of-seven series. NBA Playoff winners are the first club to post four wins against their allocated opponents, who are subsequently eliminated from the race to the Championship.
The last round of the NBA Playoffs is the NBA Finals. The NBA Finals are a separate best-of-seven series showdown between the two NBA Conference Champions decided throughout the basketball playoffs tournament.
- Reigning NBA Champions: Toronto Raptors (2019)
- Date: Start August 17, 2020 (AEDT)
- Format: Best-of-seven series tournament
- Final Round: NBA Finals
- Title: NBA Champions
- Trophy: Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy
- MVP: Bill Russell NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award
The 2019/20 NBA Playoffs were set to tip off on Saturday April 18, 2020 (AEDT) with the 2020 Eastern Conference and 2020 Western Conference Finals leading into the 2020 NBA Finals originally scheduled for June 4, 2020 (AEDT time).
The top eight teams from each conference face off in a number of best-of-seven NBA Playoffs series during the First Round.
2020 NBA Playoffs: Conference Finals Results
- Boston Celtics v Miami Heat (TBD)
- Los Angeles Lakers v Denver Nuggets (TBD)
2020 NBA Playoffs: Conference Semifinals Results
- Toronto Raptors (3) v Boston Celtics (4)
- Milwaukee Bucks (1) v Miami Heat (4)
- Los Angeles Clippers (3) v Denver Nuggets (4)
- Los Angeles Lakers (4) v Houston Rockets (1)
2020 NBA Playoffs: First Round Series Results
- Milwaukee Bucks (4) – Orlando Magic (1)
- Toronto Raptors (4) – Brooklyn Nets (0)
- Boston Celtics (4) – Philadelphia 76ers (0)
- Indiana Pacers (0) – Miami Heat (4)
- Los Angeles Lakers (4) – Portland Trail Blazers (1)
- Los Angeles Clippers (4) – Dallas Mavericks (2)
- Denver Nuggets (4) – Utah Jazz (3)
- Houston Rockets v Oklahoma City Thunder
The NBA Playoffs First Round results decide the eight teams to progress onto the NBA Conference Semifinals.
NBA Playoffs Betting
All the regular basketball betting markets are open across the NBA Playoffs. Outright NBA odds are open months in advance of the Playoffs series and are determined by the NBA results across the season. Other popular NBA Playoffs betting markets include the Eastern Conference and Western Conference winners.
Popular NBA Playoffs Bet Types include:
- NBA Championship Winner
- NBA Eastern Conference Winner
- NBA Western Conference Winner
NBA Playoffs System
The NBA Playoffs System that happens at the end of each season. Photo by NBA Explained.
- 1st plays 8th
- 2nd plays 7th
- 3rd plays 6th
- 4th plays 5th
In the opening round of the NBA playoffs the highest seeded teams get the advantage. The home court advantage goes to the club with the best record out of the two, which isn’t always the top seeded team in the match.
The Cleveland Cavaliers won the 2015/16 NBA Championship. Photo Credit: Custom.
There are eight NBA Playoff series – made up of between four and seven games – played in the opening round, four in each Conference.
Conference Semi Finals
Winners of the opening round’s series in each conference play the winners of the second best-of-seven series in the first semi-final NBA tournament. Game 2 winners from the first round play the game four victors in each Conference in the second set of semi-finals.
Winners of the two first semi-final series in each Conference play the winners of the second two semi-final tournaments to make up two Conference Finals series in the NBA Playoffs each season.
One best-of-seven NBA Championship series played between the Eastern Conference and Western Conference winners.