The seasonal NBA Playoffs kick off around April each year and are contested by the top eight teams in each conference with the most wins fighting it out for the NBA Championship title.
The NBA Playoffs teams are made up of the three division winners plus the next best NBA team from each conference based on their seasonal record. NBA Playoff seedings are based on each club’s record over the regular NBA season.
NBA Playoffs are contested in a tournament format with each team playing another in a best-of-seven series. NBA Playoff winners are the first club to post four wins against their allocated opponents, who are subsequently eliminated from the race to the Championship.
The last round of the NBA Playoffs is the NBA Finals. The NBA Finals are a separate best-of-seven series showdown between the two NBA Conference Champions decided throughout the basketball playoffs tournament.
- Reigning NBA Champions: Los Angeles Lakers
- Date: April 2021
- Format: best-of-seven series tournament
- Final Round: NBA Finals
- Title: NBA Champions
- Trophy: Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy
- MVP: Bill Russell NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award
The 2020/21 NBA Playoffs are set to tip-off on time in April (AEDT) with the 2021 Eastern Conference and 2021 Western Conference Finals leading into the 2021 NBA Finals currently scheduled to begin in June.
The top eight teams from each conference face off in a number of best-of-seven NBA Playoffs series during the First Round.
2021 NBA Playoffs: Conference Finals Results
- Milwaukee Bucks (3) v Atlanta Hawks (5)
- Phoenix Suns (2) v Los Angeles Clippers (4)
2021 NBA Playoffs: Conference Semifinals Results
- Philadelphia 76ers (1) v Atlanta Hawks (5) – ATL Won the Series 4-3
- Brooklyn Nets (2) v Milwaukee Bucks (3) – MIL Won the Series 4-3
- Utah Jazz (1) v Los Angeles Clippers (4) – LAC Won the Series 4-2
- Phoenix Suns (2) v Denver Nuggets (3) – PHX Won the Series 4-0
2021 NBA Playoffs: First Round Series Results
- Philadelphia 76ers (1) v Washington Wizards (8) – PHI Won the Series 4-1
- Brooklyn Nets (2) v Boston Celtics (7) – BRK Won the Series 4-1
- Milwaukee Bucks (3) v Miami Heat (6) – MIL Won the Series 4-0
- New York Knicks (4) v Atlanta Hawks (5) – ATL Won the Series 4-1
- Utah Jazz (1) v Memphis Grizzlies (8) – UTA Won the Series 4-1
- Phoenix Suns (2) v Los Angeles Lakers (7) – PHX Won the Series 4-3
- Denver Nuggets (3) v Portland Trail Blazers (6) – DEN Won the Series 4-2
- Los Angeles Clippers (4) v Dallas Mavericks (5) – LAC Won the Series 4-3
The NBA Playoffs First Round results decide the eight teams to progress onto the NBA Conference Semifinals.
NBA Playoffs Betting
All the regular basketball betting markets are open across the NBA Playoffs. Outright NBA odds are open months in advance of the Playoffs series and are determined by the NBA results across the season. Other popular NBA Playoffs betting markets include the Eastern Conference and Western Conference winners.
Popular NBA Playoffs Bet Types include:
- NBA Championship Winner
- NBA Eastern Conference Winner
- NBA Western Conference Winner
NBA Playoffs System
The NBA Playoffs bracket. Photo by NBA Explained.
- 1st plays 8th
- 2nd plays 7th
- 3rd plays 6th
- 4th plays 5th
In the opening round of the NBA playoffs the highest seeded teams get the advantage. The home-court advantage goes to the club with the best record out of the two, which isn’t always the top-seeded team in the match.
The Cleveland Cavaliers won the 2015/16 NBA Championship. Photo Credit: Custom.
There are eight NBA Playoff series – made up of between four and seven games – played in the opening round, four in each Conference.
Winners of the opening round’s series in each conference play the winners of the second best-of-seven series in the first semi-final NBA tournament. Game 2 winners from the first round play the game, four victors, in each Conference in the second set of semi-finals.
Winners of the two first semi-final series in each Conference play the winners of the second two semi-final tournaments to make up two Conference Finals series in the NBA Playoffs each season.
One best-of-seven NBA Championship series played between the Eastern Conference and Western Conference winners.