Ladbrokes Tip: Four-year-olds have a gun recent record winning the Cox Plate at weight-for-age
Australasia’s weight-for-age championship the Ladbrokes Cox Plate is known as “the race where legends are made” and each year attracts the best WFA horses from both Australia and overseas. Run at the notoriously tight Moonee Valley circuit in Melbourne each spring, the 2040m classic is now worth $3 million in prize money and has been run since 1922 when Tangalooma won.
Named in honour of W.S. Cox who founded the Melbourne Racing Club, the Cox Plate has been won by many turf champions over the years including racing legend Phar Lap (1930-31), New Zealand hero Rising Fast (1954) who also won that year’s Melbourne and Caulfield Cups, and triple Melbourne Cup winning mare Makybe Diva (2005).
The brilliant mare Winx was the most recent winner of the Cox Plate in October of 2017 after successfully defending her two titles, joining Kingston Town (1980-82) as the only other three-time Cox Plate champion in history.
The latest edition of the Ladbrokes Cox Plate ran and was won by Winx in race record time (2:02.94).
The 2018 Cox Plate runs on Saturday October 27, 2018.
2017 Cox Plate Results
- 1st: #8 Winx
- 2nd: #3 Humidor
- 3rd: #5 Folkswood
Ladbrokes Cox Plate Race Info
- Date: Saturday October 28, 2017
- Track: Moonee Valley Racecourse
- Distance: 2040m
- Conditions: Weight-for-age
- Status: Group 1
- Prize Money: $3 million
- First Run: 1922
2017 Cox Plate Results
The official 2017 Cox Plate Results & Finishing Order will be available in full below once the spring feature takes place on Saturday October 28, 2017 .
The Chris Waller-trained mare made history in a nail-biting 2017 Cox Plate result, holding off the spirited Humidor to win by under a half-length, while English raider Folkswood ran a distant third nearly five lengths off the top two.
Winx now holds the all-time Australian prize money record for a racehorse and joins Black Caviar on 15 Group 1 wins, also beating the Cox Plate track record she herself set in 2015.
|1||8||WINX||Chris Waller||Hugh Bowman||–||5||57kg||$1.18F|
|2||3||HUMIDOR (NZ)||Darren Weir||Blake Shinn||0.4L||7||59kg||$31|
|3||5||FOLKSWOOD (GB)||Charlie Appleby||Kerrin McEvoy||4.65L||4||59kg||$26|
|4||9||ROYAL SYMPHONY||Tony McEvoy||Dean Yendall||6.15L||6||49.5kg||$19|
|5||2||GAILO CHOP (FR)||Darren Weir||Mark Zahra||6.25L||3||59kg||$21|
|6||1||HAPPY CLAPPER||Patrick Webster||Damien Oliver||6.55L||8||59kg||$31|
|7||6||SEABURGE||David & B Hayes & T Dabernig||Regan Bayliss||13.55L||1||57.5kg||$101|
|8||7||HARDHAM||David Brideoake||Luke Nolen||14.8L||2||57.5kg||$101|
|–||4||KASPERSKY (IRE)||Jane Chapple-Hyam||Ms Michelle Payne||–||0||–||–|
Ladbrokes Cox Plate Betting & Odds
Early Cox Plate betting opens during the winter months before the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival even kicks off and features a list of all-in prices on possible runners. While there is good value on offer in these futures markets many punters prefer to wait until a few days out when the confirmed field is released. Upsets are not uncommon in the Cox Plate and since 2000 when Sunline (11/8F) saluted for the first of her two victories only five other favourites have won the race including Winx (2015-17). Winx was the first dual defending Cox Plate winner to jump favourite in her third attempt since Kingston Town, and like the great she too saluted for the punters.
2017 Cox Plate Odds
The latest Ladbrokes Cox Plate 2017 Betting Odds will be updated below as the lead-up to Australasia’s weight-for-age championship heats up this season.
2017 Cox Plate betting was dominated by the dual defending champion Winx who was at an odds-on price for her third win in the race.
All-in 2018 Cox Plate odds are now out and three-time champion Winx is the early favourite to return for her fourth run in the classic.
Ladbrokes Cox Plate Tips
Cox Plate tips flood in during October every year and usually the pro punters and tipsters put three and four-year-olds on top of their selections as this age group won every Cox Plate from 2009 – 2015, the weight-for-age conditions suiting the younger horses. Tipping a Cox Plate winner also involves looking at the lead-up form with gallopers coming off a top three run the best performed in this spring classic.
2017 Cox Plate Tips
Our exclusive Ladbrokes Cox Plate 2017 betting tips will be detailed in full below the week of the race so stay tuned to see the horses to back and sack in your exotic Cox Plate selections this season.
- 1st: #8 WINX ($1.16) – Why will Winx win? Because she is Winx. This Chris Waller-trained mare is the best thing going around and that’s been proven by her 21 straight wins leading-up to this, her shot at joining Kingston Town with three Cox Plate victories. The Valley suits her style, she won the race last year by a record eight lengths and tipping just as dominant a winning margin in the 2017 Cox Plate results. This field won’t get close to the 14-time Group 1 winner who flew home to win the Turnbull Stakes by 6.5 lengths in her Cox Plate tune-up. Scary stuff.
- 2nd: #5 FOLKSWOOD ($21) – International raider for Godolphin and Charlie Appleby who won the Cranbourne Cup over the distance first-up down under a fortnight back by nearly three lengths. Jockey Kerrin McEvoy selected him over Royal Symphony in the Cox Plate 2017 field and think the talented five-year-old can reward him crossing second to the world’s best.
- 3rd: #7 HARDHAM ($151) – The Valley can be a tricky track for horses that aren’t suited. That’s why the blowout price is attractive on this now David Brideoake-trained four-year-old, proven at 2040m here in Group 2 company. ATC Derby third in the autumn, but has been below par last two runs. Beaten odds-on favourite second in the Inglis race two back before Caulfield Cup eighth. Back in distance and on a quick back-up, but think the price is stupid and will run better than a number of others in the field.
Cox Plate Field
The Cox Plate field is released on the Tuesday before the race runs on a Saturday in late October each year as part of the two meeting Cox Plate Carnival that kicks off on the Friday night with Manikato Stakes Night. The race has a capacity of 14 starters plus four emergencies and is open to horses aged three years and older. Many horses come into the race via earlier spring features including the Caulfield Stakes and Turnbull Stakes. Cox Plate nominations, which typically feature over 200 early entries, are taken in August before a number of declaration stages whittle down the line-up to the confirmed final acceptors.
Typical lead-up races into the Cox Plate field including the Group 1 Caulfield Ladbrokes Stakes, a double recently achieved by Winx (2016) and Ocean Park (2012).
2017 Cox Plate Field
The official Ladbrokes Cox Plate 2017 Final Field was announced on Tuesday October 24, 2017 along with the Cox Plate Barrier Draw.
The 2017 Ladbrokes Cox Plate Field attracted nine weight-for-age hopefuls and the super star mare Winx is drawn in barrier six chasing her third win on the classic and her 22nd straight turf triumph. Two international horses also feature in the Cox Plate Field for 2017 with last start Cranbourne Cup winner Folkswood (5) and roughie hope Kaspersky coming off an unplaced Toorak Handicap run.
Cox Plate Field Update 2017: $81 roughie Kaspersky has been scratched from the field leaving Winx with just seven rivals to defeat. The English raider was found to have swelling in his near foreleg forcing connections to withdraw him from the field on race morning. Winx remains at $1.16 to win her record-equalling third Cox Plate trophy.
|#||Form (Last 10)||Horse||Trainer||Jockey||Barrier||Weight||Hcp. Rating|
|1||x2125x1212||HAPPY CLAPPER||Patrick Webster||Damien Oliver||9||59kg||120|
|2||1x37x01431||GAILO CHOP (FR)||Darren Weir||Mark Zahra||4||59kg||117|
|3||2212×68135||HUMIDOR (NZ)||Darren Weir||Blake Shinn||8||59kg||122|
|4||37×5252720||KASPERSKY (IRE)||Jane Chapple-Hyam||Ms. Michelle Payne||2||59kg||113|
|5||2x212235x1||FOLKSWOOD (GB)||Charlie Appleby||Kerrin McEvoy||5||59kg||113|
|6||82x060x005||SEABURGE||David & B Hayes & T Dabernig||Regan Bayliss||1||57.5kg||115|
|7||x6713x7120||HARDHAM||David Brideoake||Luke Nolen||3||57.5kg||116|
|8||x1111x1111||WINX||Chris Waller||Hugh Bowman||6||57kg||132|
|9||111×144||ROYAL SYMPHONY||Tony McEvoy||Dean Yendall||7||49.5kg||110|
2017 Cox Plate Nominations & Weights
The 2017 Ladbrokes Cox Plate Nominations closed on August 8, 2017 and drew 141 horses including 15 internationals nominated for the $3 million feature. Dual Cox Plate winner Winx dominated the Cox Plate 2017 nominations this spring and is also the clear favourite in our futures Cox Plate betting markets to join Kingston Town (1980-82) as the only other triple champion in history.
2017 Cox Plate Acceptances
- 2017 Cox Plate First Acceptances: Closed on September 12, 2017 and featured 79 runners including the dual defending champion Winx
- 2017 Cox Plate Second Acceptances: Closed on September 26, 2017 and left 48 hopefuls heading towards a run in the Australasian weight-for-age championship
- 2017 Cox Plate Third Acceptances: Closed on October 10, 2017 attracting 36 entries including five internationals that could take on Winx on October 28
Ladbrokes Cox Plate Form Guide
The Cox Plate form guide is a key reference for any smart punter wanting to place the winning bet on the race and features all the information you need to determine the chances of the horses in the field. The best form guides feature basic information like saddlecloth numbers, barriers and jockeys as well as more detailed statistics like lead-up form, win / place percentages and records at the track / distance. The Caulfield Stakes is one of the best lead-up races into the Cox Plate with the double most recently achieved by Winx (2016). The Caulfield Guineas is also a key lead-up race producing the likes of Shamus Award (2013) and So You Think (2009) in recent years, while the Turnbull Stakes has also produced two Cox Plate winners in the past decade with El Segundo (2007) and Makybe Diva (2005).
Cox Plate Form Facts
- Winx (2016 and 2017) became the first Cox Plate winner older than four to salute since 2008 taking out the race as a 5YO in 2016 and 6YO in 2017
- No horse has finished worse than third in the lead-up to a Cox Plate win since So You Think (Caulfield Guineas 5th in 2009)
- In the past decade three horses have won multiple editions of the Cox Plate with So You Think (2009-10) and Winx (2015-17)
- Two Cox Plate champions from 2011 – 2017 saluted from a double-digit barrier
Ladbrokes Cox Plate Results
The Cox Plate results are known after the classic jumps as Moonee Valley Race 9 at the late October meeting each spring. As well as listing the complete Cox Plate finishing order the results show the trainer and jockey of each horse as well as the margin between each place, the weight they carried and their starting price in the betting markets.
Cox Plate Winners
|2013||Shamus Award||Happy Trails||Fiorente||2:05.2|
|2012||Ocean Park||All Too Hard||Pierro||2:04.1|
|2011||Pinker Pinker||Jimmy Choux||Rekindled Interest||2:05.3|
|2010||So You Think||Zipping||Whobegotyou||2:07.4|
|2009||So You Think||Manhattan Rain||Zipping||2:03.9|
|2007||El Segundo||Wonderful World||Haradasun||2:06.3|
|2006||Fields Of Omagh||El Segundo||Pompeii Ruler||2:06.9|
|2005||Makybe Diva||Lotteria||Fields Of Omagh||2:09.3|
|2004||Savabeel||Fields Of Omagh||Starcraft||2:06.9|
|2003||Fields Of Omagh||Defier||Lonhro||2:07.6|